Welcome to this section of the website that deals with Provisional Licence applications.
You can apply for your provisional licence up to 3 months before your licence is due to start. But you MUST NOT drive a car on the road until your licence has arrived and not until the day of your 17th birthday.
You cannot start to drive a car until your provisional driving licence is in your possession. If you are in receipt of the higher rate of disability, you can start to learn to drive when you reach your 16th Birthday, otherwise you will have to wait until your 17th Birthday.
Your Provisional licence will not expire until your 70th Birthday.
However, you have to renew your licence every 10 years, so your photo can be updated.
Get your first provisional driving licence for a moped, motorbike or car from DVLA online. If you have not held a driving licence before you must complete a D1 application for an ordinary driving licence.
Use form D1 to obtain:
- Provisional Licence.
- Full Licence (if lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed).
- Duplicate Licence.
- New licence after losing it for health reasons.
- New Licence after being disqualified.
- Renew your Licence.
- Remove out of date endorsements or suspension details.
- Exchange your Licence.
Current cost of a provisional licence is £34.00 for online applications.
You may apply online for a first British provisional driving licence if you:
- Are a resident of Great Britain.
- Meet the minimum age requirement.
- Can meet the minimum eyesight requirement.
- Pay the appropriate fee.
- Have a relevant form of identity.
- Can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years.